North Harbor City Blvd.
  Melbourne, Florida
Contact Me
Call Me (321)757-6848
E-mail Geoff Email Me
Request Immediate Legal Help Request Help

Administrative Hearings

Applying for Hardship Driver Licenses (Melbourne, Palm Bay, Brevard, Florida)

So, who can apply for a hardship license?


Looking at who cannot apply for a reinstatement of driving privileges might be an easier way to answer this question.  A driver with a ‘clean’ driving record and who can demonstrate a genuine hardship is going to find it easier to obtain a hardship license than one with multiple DUI offenses and no legitimate need to drive a vehicle.

Generally, you cannot apply for reinstatement of a Florida driver’s license if you’ve been convicted of a drinking-driving related offense or had your driving privileges restricted two or more times for a drinking-driving related offense[1].

Let us file your Application for Hardship License, and guide your way clearly through the process of demonstrating to the Hearing Officer that you have a legitimate hardship and are fit to drive a motor vehicle.
Things to bring with you to your hardship license consultation with me:
  • Three letters of recommendation from respected persons in the community in which you live.
  • Proof of meeting driver improvement school requirements as provided in Section 322.271, F.S.
  • Any paperwork you may have showing that driving is necessary to your employment and to reach your employment or school


[1] FAC 15A-1.019(5)

Bail and Bond Hearings

Who is entitled to a bond for a criminal charge?
Anyone charged in Florida with a non-capital charge is usually entitled to some amount of bond that they can make.  If a person is charged with violating terms of  probation or community control, the person is entitled to no amount of bond, however the judge in his or her discretion may permit you to be released until your probation hearing.




Anyone charged with a non-capital charge is usually entitled to some amount of bond that they can make. If a person is charged with violating probation or community control, he or she is not entitled to any amount of bond (but may still be given one, in the judge’s discretion).



Bail bonds for misdemeanors are given as a matter of course.  There are rare exceptions to this rule–a judge may deny bail unless he or she believes that no conditions of release can reasonably protect the community from risk of physical harm to persons, assure the presence of the accused at trial, or assure the integrity of the judicial process.


Right to Pretrial Release

Any person arrested for a misdemeanor (petit theft, first DUI, assault, public intoxication) is entitled to be released from jail until his or her next appearance in Court (always follow your attorney’s instructions on this).  The judge allowing the pretrial release is authorized by law to require the arrested person to comply with certain conditions (for a complete list of these conditions, please call me directly at (321) 757-1107 or contact my office at (321) 757-6848).


This right to pre-trial release is not absolute, meaning that the law authorizes a judge to use his discretion in deciding whether or not to set conditions (such as curfews, monetary bonds, or house arrest) if he feels they are necessary to protect others from physical harm, or to protect the inFlorida law requires a judge to consider the safety of the community in making a decision to permit the pre-trial release of anyone arrested for a crime.  A first appearance judge may permit you to be held pending trial if he or she believes that you willphysically harm someone such as the victim, witnesses, or co-defendants.


A record of FTAs (failure to appear) is not going to convince a judge to reduce the bond amount or release.  However, there are unavoidable life circumstances: accidents, sudden illness or unexpected death in the family.  Perhaps you failed to appear before a criminal court in the past, but need someone tell the judge your side of the story.  If you are in this situation, it is important to act quickly.  Call my office at 321-757-6848 today to schedule a free criminal consultation.


When are bond hearings held?

Most often, an arrested person is taken before a judge for first appearance within 24 hours of arrest.  The person is given a bond amount or released on his or her own recognizance (ROR), or held pending trial.  A judge may set a bond for any amount that he believes will give the arrested person an incentive, or reason, to submit to the jurisdiction of the court.


If the arrested person just cannot come up with the bail bond amount, I can ask the Court to reduce it.  Call my office at (321) 757-6848 if you wish to ask the Court for a reduction in the bond amount.


What kind of factors may the judge take into account when considering bail?

When a motion for reduction of bond is presented to a judge, he or she is authorized by law to consider:

  • The nature and circumstances of the offense charged
  • The penalty provided by law for the charged offense
  • Weight of evidence against the accused
  • Family ties
  • Length of residence in the community
  • Employment history
  • Financial resources
  • Mental condition
  • Defendant’s past and present conduct
  • Record of convictions
  • Previous flight to avoid prosecution
  • Previous failures to appear at court proceedings
  • Probability and nature of danger posed to community
  • Source of funds used to post bail
  • Whether the defendant is already on release pending resolution of
    another criminal proceeding
  • If the defendant is on probation or on parole or on any release pending completion of sentence
  • Any other facts the court considers relevant



What happens after the bondsman is paid?

Once the bondsman is paid his or her percentage, the bondsman will deliver the bail bond certificate to the jail.  Jail policies and procedures dictate how long it will be before a person is released after the  bail bond is posted.  Most jails try to get a bailed defendant out the front door as soon as they can;  other, busier jails can take as long as 6 hours. Call me today, and let’s get your defense moving forward! My cell phone number is 321-757-1107 if you would like to talk to an attorney now, or try me at the office: 321-757-1107!

Practice Areas